Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What I recently read that was really good

The Death of Kings, an essay by Nick Paumgarten in the May 18th New Yorker.

To read it online requires subscription at the website. Click on the picture to view the first two pages and read the first few paragraphs.

I read it this past weekend. It made me laugh out loud at least once, kept me riveted, and gave me a number of insights I wouldn't otherwise have access to. One of the best accounts of the current financial crisis from the points of view of the people themselves. The reader is introduced to a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes players, people who deliberately stay out of the public eye. And the author does all this reporting while writing with an interesting prose style.

Hopefully they'll lift the subscription requirement, because I recommend anyone read it.

No comments: